Killers: Brothers, Reginald Carr & Jonathan Carr


On the night of Dec. 14, 2000, a witness, described in court papers as ‘H.G.’ went to spend the evening at the home of her boyfriend Jason Befort, who lived in a triplex condo with two college friends Bradley Heyka and Aaron Sander in Wichita. H. G. arrived at 8:30 p.m. Shortly after 11 p.m., the porch light came back on to the surprise of Jason, who was still awake. H.G. reported hearing shouts as someone forced open the door.

She reported seeing a tall black man standing in the doorway. The man would later be identified as Jonathan Carr. He ripped the covers off the bed. Soon, another black man (later described as Reginald Carr) brought Aaron Sander in from the living room at gunpoint and threw him on the bed. H. G. said the men asked, was anyone else in the house? She told them about two friends in the basement. One of the intruders went to get them.

At this point, the intruders didn’t seem to be interested in money, they made the victims get into a bedroom closet and for the next hour brought them out to a hall by a wet bar, singly or in pairs for sex. The gunmen first brought out the women and made them have oral sex and penetrate each other digitally. They then forced Bradley to have sex with H.G. Then they made Jason have sex with H.G. but ordered them to stop when they realized he was her boyfriend. Afterwards, they sent everybody back to the closet.

A few minutes went by when they opened the door and asked if the victims had ATM cards. Reginald Carr then took the victims, one at a time to ATM machines. On the way back, Reginald Carr told H.G., ‘wish we would have met under different circumstances, you’re cute and we probably would have hit it off.’ “Relax, I’m not going to kill you yet.”

When they all returned home, Reginald raped H.G. Later, when the intruders ransacked the house, they came across a ring that Jason had bought for H.G., that’s how she learned that Jason had planned to propose to her the following week.

After ransacking the house, the Carr’s led the victims outside into the freezing night. At midnight it had been 17.6 degrees and there was snow on the ground. The Carr’s let the women wear a sweater or sweatshirt but they were barefoot and naked from the waist down. The men were marched into the snow completely naked. The Carr’s transported the victims in a truck (owned by Jason) and a car (owned by Aaron). After a short drive, both vehicles stopped in an empty field. The Carr’s ordered the men out of the vehicles and lined them up. Shots were fired.

The Carr’s returned to the women and fired shots. H.G. heard three shots before she was hit; the bullet hit her in the back of the head. She was knocked unconscious and played dead.

As the victims lay dead, with the exception of H.G. (who pretended to be dead) the Carr’s drove off in Jason’s truck, running over the victims as they left. H.G. says, she felt the truck hit her body, too.

Victims: clockwise from top left: Jason Befort, Heather Miller, Aaron Sandler & Bradley Heyka.

Barefoot and naked, in the distance, H.G. saw Christmas lights. With a bullet wound in her head, she managed to walk more than a mile in the freezing cold, through snow, across a construction site, around a pond and a bush until she reached the house. She pounded frantically and rang the doorbell until a young married couple answered. She pleaded, ‘help me, help me; we’ve all been shot. Four of my friends are dead.”

The couple wrapped H.G. in blankets and reached for the phone to call 911 but she would not let them call. She was afraid she would die and wanted to tell them what happened. She described the attackers and what they did as the couple listened in amazement at her courage. Only when she was sure they knew her story she let them call the police. Still thinking she would die, she asked them to call her mother, ‘Tell her I love her.’

By 7:30 a.m., police had a report that the missing truck was outside a downtown apartment building, and that a black man had been seen carrying a television set up to one of the apartments. The police moved in to seal off the area. The officers knocked on the door of the apartment, and after several minutes, a white woman named Stephanie Donly opened the door. She was Reginald Carr’s girlfriend and shared an apartment with him. Police caught Reginald as he tried to slip out a window.

Police later arrested Jonathan at his girlfriend’s house, across town. Fewer than 12 hours after the murders, Reginald and Jonathan Carr were in custody.

Authorities would later learn, one week earlier, the Carr’s carjacked Andrew Schreiber at gunpoint and forced him to drive to an ATM machine. Afterwards, they pistol whipped him and shot out his tires. Later that evening, they shot and killed Linda Walenta (a cellist in the Wichita Symphony Orchestra) in an attempted robbery. Linda, survived the shooting but was paralyzed from the waist down, she would die of her wounds on January 2, 2001.

The defense wanted separate trials because the lawyers for each brother will try to blame the crimes on the other and the police decided not to charge the Carr’s with hate crimes, although, all the victims were white. Some speculate; the refusal had to do with Reginald Carr having a white girlfriend.

Despite all the legal wrangling and legal maneuvering, both brothers were sentenced to death by lethal injection. They are currently sitting on Death Row in Wichita.

Source: American Renaissance.com



return to top