Curtis "Cocky" Warren (born May 31, 1963, Toxteth, Liverpool, England) was a notorious British drug dealer from Liverpool. At one point reportedly worth in excess of $570 million dollars, Warren even appeared on the Sunday Times 'Rich List' (documenting wealthy individuals in the UK) with his money attributed to 'property'.

Warren was born on May 31, 1963, in the deprived Liverpool suburb of Toxteth to a black father and a white mother. He left school at 11 and turned to petty crime. He took up drug dealing and by the early 1990s was renowned in the Merseyside area as a successful and very intelligent drug dealer who did not himself take drugs.

In September 1991 Warren and Brian Charrington, another prominent British drug dealer, arranged for a shipment of cocaine from Venezuela hidden inside lead ingots. The shipment was successful but soon afterwards Warren and Charrington were arrested while attempting to orchestrate a second shipment. Warren was charged with importing around £87 million worth (street value) of cocaine into the UK, The largest UK seizure at the time. Had he been found guilty he would have faced decades in prison. He was held at Armley prison in Leeds as a category-A remand prisoner for over a year, during which time it emerged that Charrington was a police informant. Due to this and other complex legal issues the case was dropped and in 1993 Warren was free.

In 1995, fearing another arrest by British authorities and wanting to escape escalating gang violence in Liverpool, Warren relocated to the town of Sassenheim in the Netherlands. He had accumulated massive wealth, much of it invested legally in property and casinos. Despite having enough to comfortably (and perhaps safely) retire, he continued in the drug trade. He coordinated his empire via phone calls to the UK, many of them tapped by the Dutch police without his knowledge. These phone taps eventually led to his downfall.

Warren's time as the UK's most successful drug baron ended on October 24, 1996, when he was arrested by Dutch authorities when attempting to execute a large shipment of drugs. The homes of many top-level gangsters in his organization were raided, uncovering drugs, cash and extensive weaponry. He was later sentenced to 12 years in Dutch prison for drug trafficking. In 1999 he was further convicted of the manslaughter of a fellow prisoner (Cemal Guclu) following a prison yard brawl, which added 4 years to his original jail term, meaning he was slated to serve until 2012. According to many 'insiders' however, Warren remains an influential figure in organized crime.

On June 14, 2007 Curtis Warren was released early from his Dutch prison after winning a court appeal. He is still estimated to have £285 million to his name as the UK Asset Recovery Team only recovered £3.5m of his wealth. In a recent BBC interview he said that he wants a quiet and peaceful life with his family.

Curtis Warren reportedly has a photographic memory. The whereabouts of his wealth was never determined; some say he memorized bank account details so there was no need for digits to be left lying around. Many believe his wealth to be hidden in vaults and swiss bank accounts yet to this day only he knows.

An unnamed publisher has offered Curtis Warren 1 million pounds to write his story in his own words - an offer which he declined.

On the 21 July 2007, Warren was arrested on the Channel Islands at the harbor of St Helier, Jersey, after a joint investigation involving Merseyside Police, SOCA and Interpol, concerning the importation of Cannabis into Jersey (where it is considered a Class B drug) with a street value of £300,000[1]. He appeared in court on July 23 2007 on suspicion of importing drugs and was further remanded in custody. At the time, Keith Dyson, Curtis Warren's UK solicitor, said Warren is innocent of all the charges in Jersey and he is said to be puzzled by the charges made against him.

On 4 October 2007 Warren appeared in Jersey's Royal Court were he pleaded not guilty to conspiring to import cannabis into the country. Warren and his 3 friends all pleaded not guilty and were remanded to appear in court again on December 13th 2007, when the trial will commence. Top UK Judge Sir Richard Tucker, has been appointed, and will hear evidence on Thursday 13th of December. The men who've reserved their pleas have been in prison for 4 months.

Outlining the case for the prosecution the crown said they'd gathered a lot of evidence but were still waiting for more. In particular a report from a drugs expert; details from British Telecom about phone calls made from pay phones at Manchester Airport; and surveillance and phone evidence from the Dutch authorities.

The defense are critical of the amount of time the trial is taking to come to court. They're arguing and the delays are hampering a fair trial.